Thursday, March 12, 2015

Learning a new skill: 3D modelling

(part 0) (part 2 here)
A little while back I mentioned on tumblr I was starting to learn 3D modelling. After much time-consuming and perhaps -pointless- deliberation, I settled for learning Blender. Despite it's bad reputation, the updates to the program in the past year has made it much more appealing. It's features are many and versatile, and most importantly: open source with a great community and learning material. I put it down shortly after I began, but now I am back on it again, and thankfully have gotten past the *head to desk* stage of initial frustration. I'm learning with the book called "blender for dummies" this time around while supplementing more and more with youtube, manuals and general googling the further I get. I underestimated the book due to it's name, I never expected the "For dummies" series to be more than "sell-bait" however, using it has been a un-frustrating and productive experience. I'm on chapter 4 so far, and am starting to get very close to my goal of making my first 3D print.

Blender screenshot: My first 3D model, how sentimental (Babys first extrude)

Blender screenshot: The Skyfish logo imported from .svg (illustrator) to Blender. (I have no idea what I'm doing.) There appears to be a problem with some of the vectors facing the wrong way or maybe crossing. I'm still working on figuring this one out.
The goal is to make a stamp with my logo on it using 3D model from blender and some sugru (for the stamp surface) It's 3D printer weekend at the Oslo makerspace Bitraf this weekend, so I'm hoping I will have it all figured out by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment